This course date has passed. To inquire about future bookings, please click here.
Basics of Supervising
February 26, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm$1
This interactive facilitator-directed class focuses on the legislation, standards and best practices and their application in the workplace. Participants will be required to complete in-class assignments and will be given tools necessary to ensure transition from the classroom to the workplace.
STS Group’s Basics of Supervisor training program is designed to give individuals with charge of a workplace or authority over a worker the essential training to increase competency in the delivery of their duties. This Basics of Supervisor training is intended for all levels of supervision and not just frontline supervisors.
Participants will learn how to effectively fulfil their role as a supervisor under applicable provincial or federal legislation. This program will teach supervisors to manage health and safety in the workplace and provide the tools needed to meet their health and safety responsibilities. They will learn how safety, when managed properly, helps increase construction and contractor efficiency.
Supervisors and/or managers involved in the following industries:
- Health care
- Review of applicable legislation including provincial Acts, Canada Labour Code Part II, Regulations, Codes and Standards.
- Identify the duties and responsibilities of a constructor, employer, supervisor, and workers as detailed in the applicable legislation.
- Learn how to integrate health and safety into the supervisor’s daily activities of planning, organizing, directing, and controlling work.
- Understanding how to communicate effectively with inspectors, workers and peers.
- Develop and motivate work teams and address performance issues.
- Risk Assessment using RACE methodology
- Communicating hazard information through safety talks and worker orientations
- Investigate incidents and determine the underlying causes
- Work stoppage and work refusal process and the role of the supervisor
- Enforcing health and safety rules – discipline
- Documenting workplace activities in a logbook
In-Class Assignments and Written Assessment
Wallet and Wall Certificate
Group rates for 6 or more.
The Basics of Supervising Training Program will help prepare supervisors to perform their health and safety duties competently. However, it is the responsibility of the employer to validate the competency of the supervisor in health and safety. Additional training in workplace-specific hazards and the regulations that apply to those hazards may be required, and strongly recommended.