JHSC Part 1 Certification training
- LocationMontecassino Hotel - 3710 Chesswood Dr, Toronto, ON
- Class SizeOnsite available
- Duration2 Days (9 am to 5 pm each day)
JHSC Basic Certification Training Program (2 days) Approved MOL Training Provider. Required for JHSC members to become Certified.
25 in stockENQUIRE NOW
Target Audience: Managers, Supervisors, Workers and Members of the JHSC committee
Legislation: Occupational Health and Safety Act S. 9(2)(a), 9(12)
9. (2)A joint health and safety committee is required,
(a) at a workplace at which twenty or more workers are regularly employed;
9. (12)Unless otherwise prescribed, a constructor or employer shall ensure that at least one member of the committee representing the constructor or employer and at least one member representing workers are certified members.
Course Overview: MOL approved Part 1 JHSC Basic Certification training program is the first of a 2-part certification requirement for an employee to become a JHSC Certified Member. This program introduces the foundation of a JHSC and provides methods for conducting a hazard assessment in the workplace, along with how to address workplace inspections and the investigations process.
October 1, 2015 – MOL Announces New Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) Certification Standard
New JHSC Standards effective March 1 2016.
The minimum hours for training are:
- Part One training – three days (or 19.5 hours), used to be 2 days
- Part Two training – two days (or 13 hours), used to be minimum 1 day
- Refresher training – one day (or 6.5 hours), this is a new requirement
- Introduction to JHSCs
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations
- Health and Safety Programs and Policies
- JHSC Members Powers and Rights
- Duties and Responsibilities of Workplace Parties
- Hazard Assessments – Recognition, Assessment and Controlling Hazards
- Workplace Inspections and Reporting
- Investigations Processes
Evaluation: In-Class Assignments and Written Assessment
Certification: JHSC Part 1 Basic Certification letter
Validity Period: No expiry date if completed by Mar. 1, 2016.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the changes?
The 1996 Certification Standards remain in effect until February 29, 2016 and the new standard begins on March 1, 2016. JHSC training can only be taken by an MOL approved training provider and must be taken within 6 months of each other.
2. What if I am certified before March 1st?
Certified JHSC members who completed both Part 1 and Part 2 training under the 1996 standard prior to March 1st will continue to be certified and will not be required to complete any further training under the new JHSC Certification Standards, including the Refresher training. You are certified for life.
3. What if I am not certified before March 1st?
Certified JHSC members who completed both Part 1 and Part 2 training under the new 2016 standard after March 1st will need to complete refresher training every 3 years.
4. What if I have completed Part 1 training before March 1st but not Part 2?
As of March 1st, JHSC members who have completed only Part 1 training under the 1996 standard will have to complete Part 2 training under the new 2016 standard in order to be certified, and will be required to take refresher training to maintain their certification. Refresher training will need to be completed every 3 years.
5. How does this affect me?
The changes will result in 5 mandatory training days versus the minimum 3 days now. This will increase your costs and in turn will have a loss of productivity. As part of the new standard it will be mandatory to complete refresher training every 3 years. Provincial employers in Ontario employing 20 or more regularly employed workers must have a Joint Health and Safety Committee consisting of at least two certified members. Effective committees can assist the employer in reducing the risk of occupational illness and injury.
Completion of STS Group’s JHSC Certification Part 1 training program is the first step in becoming a Certified Member of your JHSC. STS Group is an MOL approved training provider for the Part 1 Certification.
BOOK BY JAN. 10 AND RECEIVE A 5% DISCOUNT!